Minecraft – planning for next year
Just recently we have had to start considering the subjects on offer for next year at our school. So the question has been raised about offering Minecraft in Grade 8 as well to the Grade 9/10’s. Offering this to a younger group of students is important to us for a number of reasons. The first one is that we have this years Grade 7’s chaffing at the bit to enter the class, so we need to listen to them and provide something that is connected to their interest and learning needs. The second reason is more connected to ensuring that we have a future group of lead students to take on the responsibilities that exist with running the server. In saying this I am very sure that @falconcadet and @natbott42 along with the others that have started this journey will stay extremely connected and have a vital role to play.
As a result of this we are starting to explore what we might focus on with the Grade 8’s and how will it be different to the Grade 9/10 course. At this stage we are looking at having Grade 8 students exist in a survival world that has limitations by them working in small groups or pairs on either a Survival Island or a Skyblock survival challenge. These are the guidelines and and possible achievements that are being considered:
[25/08/12 5:39:29 PM] falconcadet: survival isalnd:
The rules are simple:
1. Don’t leave the Island.
2. Play on at least Normal difficulty.
3. Bookmark the thread if you find it interesting.
4. Post pictures of your achievements.
5. No hacking.
6. Have fun !
Try not to squander your initial resources.
Once your grass is gone you can’t get it back.
X marks the spot.
Build a two story house/base with at least 26+ windows.
2. Build 10 bookcases.
3. Build an automated cactus farm.
4. Build an under ground tree farm.
5. Build an above ground animal trap.
6. Build a cart system.
7. Build something with redstone.
8. build a cobblestone generator
9. build a wheat farm :||||:
Have Fun 🙂 [25/08/12 5:39:55 PM] Donelle Batty: yes, so is there a list for the skyblock? [25/08/12 5:40:08 PM] falconcadet: skyblock:
Do not purposely jump off the island to regenerate your health.
Do not make a bridge to the mainland.
Play on at least easy difficulty.
1) Build a Cobble Stone generator.
2) Build a house.
3) Expand the island.
4) Make a melon farm.
5) Make a pumpkin farm.
6) Make a reed/sugarcane farm.
7) Make a wheat farm.
8) Make a giant red mushroom.
9) Craft a bed.
10) Make 64 stone brick’s.
11) Make 20 torches.
12) Make an infinite water source.
13) Craft a furnace.
14) Make a small lake.
15) Build a platform 24 blocks away from the island, for mobs to spawn.
16) Make 10 cactus green dye.
17) Make 10 mushroom stew.
18) Craft 10 Jack ‘o’ lanterns.
19) Craft 10 bookcases. (As of Minecraft 1.3, crafting bookcases is only possible if cows spawn on your island)
20) Make 10 bread.
21) Collect 10 Ender-pearls.
22) Cook 10 fish.
23) Craft 10 Black Wool.
24) Craft 10 Gray Wool.
25) Craft 10 Light Gray Wool.
26) Craft 10 Lime Green Wool.
27) Craft 10 Red Wool.
28) Craft 10 Yellow Wool.
29) Craft 10 Pink Wool.
30) Craft 10 Green Wool.
31) Craft 10 Orange Wool.
32) Craft 10 Snow Golems.
33) Craft 20 Paintings.
34) Build and light a nether portal.
35) Craft 5 Gold Ingots.
36) Craft 16 Glass Panes.
37) Collect 50 birch logs.
38) Collect 64 arrows and craft a bow.
39) Craft 10 stone buttons.
40) Craft 30 stone slabs.
41) Craft 10 signs.
42) Craft 20 ladders.
43) Craft 20 fences.
44) Craft 20 fence gates.
45) Craft 10 levers.
46) Craft 10 trapdoors.
47) Craft 10 stone pressure plates.
48) Craft 10 wooden pressure plates.
49) Collect 64 bonemeal.
50) Craft 20 cobblestone stairs.
Feel free to post pictures of your achievements and progress! [25/08/12 5:41:28 PM] Donelle Batty: coolo
We are feeling quiet happy with the collaborative build focus that we have with the Grade 9/10 students but will need to evaluate in the near future.